21 June 2008

Revolution

"Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong, isn't there? ...Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned...Fairness, justice, and freedom are more than words, they are perspectives. But if you see what I see, if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek, then I ask you to stand beside me." -V(movie)

"If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic"- Tyler Durden(movie)

"Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." - Ernesto Che Guevara


"Dangers and difficulties have not deterred us in the past, they will not frighten us now...The way of preparation lies in our rooting out all impurity and indiscipline from our organisation and making it the bright and shining instrument that will cleave its way to freedom."- Nelson Mandela

People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Albert Einstein



I have tried all week to write about this word that echoes in my mind- what it means, how it fits, what it looks like- for my generation. And it seems that I have found several who say better than me. These quotes is excruciatingly powerful. They have inspired people, masses-they are the words of revolution. They are words beckoning for change....and they do not settle for the crutch of survival, but it is also important to note, that it took these to survive in the first place - a struggle to become a limitless inspiration to many.


Revolution at it's core means to 'overturn,' overthrow the existing establishment,' or to change. For Einstein, it was the world of physics and e=mc^2. For Mandela, it was prison to president. Che overthrew governments for the purpose of equality for his people. Tyler Durden was tired of mundane, tired of Hollywood promises and needed an out, and V? The freedom of choice had been taken and a false peace was rewarded for silence. No matter how controversial they were or are- they made history.

So it is our generation's turn. What will we do to overturn the statas quo, the comfortable and the norm? What will you do?

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind changing the fact that our society is based on commerce and competition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great post, ash, and seriously, some things i needed to hear. i love every one of those quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Randy...From commerce and competition...what should replace them? In your perspective?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.