20 December 2010

Project Homeless: Citizen's Groove

It seems that no matter the city I reside in – the very core of it can be overwhelming and certainly San Diego has its groove. From the glitz to the poor – there is activity everywhere and it doesn't seem to stop. People coming and going – looking for an answer to their complicated lives.

Amazing to me are the number of homeless I encounter every day, more so than anywhere I have lived yet. There are entire blocks that are lined with shopping carts – overflowing with possessions, recycling, trash and all covered with blue tarps and blankets. There are people – couples too, spread here or there in the middle of a sidewalk with their sleeping-bags and blankets.

The sight is one that is heartbreaking to see - “God bless” and a cheerful “Merry Christmas” do not 
ever seem to be enough. Nevertheless, - if all one can do is offer a kind word, I can only imagine they are grateful to be recognized.

Their livelihood is desperate during this season. It's cold and wet (in most of the world) and their hiding place is harder to find. But if you're one that rarely has a quarter or dime in your pocket – remember that a nod and a hello can go a long way. They, too, are our neighbors and they too understand the season's urgency - and the longing for it's peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.