11 September 2011

Nostalgia


I have never been to New York City - and now more than ever - I want to go. I dare say, a part of me has always wanted to see "America's City," but since 9/11 ten years ago, I have had a more urgent reason to see this place for which hatred dared to try and destroy.

I remember where I was that day - in a classroom in Kansas City, the middle of the US, watching a grown man cry, classmates express anger, sorrow and weeping. I remember sitting there bewildered and zealous. It was a like a whirlwind had stung the room and I kept wondering, "what's next?"

Hatred lost that day. 

Since then: The world has changed. I have changed. And so has everyone I know. As we've heard the stories, watched families grieve and as a country come together against extremists, there is one thing that remains vital: fear cannot stand for long. This year in particular, the Middle East, in my opinion, is reminding us of just that- dictators are fleeing and this generation is demanding change, peace, love, grace, equality, humanity.

We have a rare opportunity to come together again. This time, in far greater unity than we've ever known. As every news channel runs memorial specials and documentaries discussing the politics and reminding us of what happened ten years ago -- remember who you were then and know who you are now. The greatest hope for change isn't a Black President or a group of Tea Partiers making their way into Congress. Hope for change doesn't come in numbers or statistics. The greatest hope for change is humility. When we realize everything we can do better tomorrow for someone else and when we realize the privilege we have to live limitless and band together for the greater good: change-happens. The world gets a little brighter.

In the end: hatred loses, love wins, grace is found - and we're making the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.