28 April 2008

Thin Line

Early yesterday morning, I saw video feed from Ramattan TV that was simply horrifying. Ramattan is a news agency based in the Middle East with feed mostly coming from Israel and Gaza territories. The pictures themselves were of four children who had been killed and marred in an attack on Northern Gaza yesterday.

The pictures showed childrens faces cut, bruised and they laid in their body bags. The father uncontrollably wept over his dead children. The mother had also been killed but was not included. The video never aired for reason of discretion and respect.

But one of things that came to my mind: where is the line that calls for discretion and respect in not showing the pictures and showing them to the world, letting the really see what goes on- the truth- in war torn countries everyday? Does "discretion" fall under "we don't really want to know?" Does showing the truth fall under, "completely inappropriate?"

I may not have to make that decision now, but it certainly lines me up to think about what lies ahead for me, where I will go and how I will tell the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.