I've never read much from the fantasy or sci-fi genre, but my boyfriend does and recently I decided I would commit to reading a couple of books by his favorite author, Terry Pratchett. After some collaboration and review, I chose Thief of Time for my first experience and was thoroughly impressed. I certainly appreciate good writing and Pratchett is brilliant.
Tick
The force in the universe, the Auditors, cannot make sense of the world's complexities. As such, they seek to stop Time altogether to create an orderly universe- where life will serve as only a function of survival. To their collective mind, it will all make sense. But who will be able to stop the atrocity? None other than a monk, his awkward apprentice and a school teacher hold the keys to discovering the mystery clockmaker that could make time stop and history fall apart.
Tick
Besides his grand use of satire about society and culture, one point he makes clear: people will personify the ideas they fear the most, and in turn make them into their gods. It is probably one of the most true ideas he sets up.
Tick
Pratchett's character development is also very well written and each character plays an unforgettable role. As a reader, I never knew more than my characters which made it fun to uncover the mysteries with them. In all honesty, after reading it, I don't know that I could really consider it just fantasy, rather it meets an element of allegory and parody that make someone like me look forward to reading more of his work.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.