12 May 2008

A Muslim Woman's View

"There are those who claim to speak for Islam who denigrate democracy and human rights, arguing that these values are Western values and thus inconsistent with Islam. These are the same people who would deny basic education to girls, blatantly discriminate against women and minorities, ridicule other cultures and religions, rant against science and technology, and endorse brutal totalitarianism to enforce their medieval views. These people have no more legitimate relationship to Islam than the people who bomb women's health centers in America have to Christianity or the madmen who massacre innocent Arab children at the tomb of Abraham in Palestine have to Judaism."~Benazir Bhutto

I do not know that I could have said it better. Reading Bhutto's Reconciliation; I have been thoroughly impressed with her attempt to not only educate western peoples on the truth about Islam, but also, openly criticize Islamic groups for being ignorant of their own Holy Book, the Quaran.

So far; she has also pointed out that how sad it is when Muslim people groups will disparage the war in Iraq, particularly the role of American troops but will fall silent when it comes time to address sectarian violence. Bhutto notes that western nations cannot be blamed for all middle eastern problems and that the people, themselves, need to re-evaluate where they have come from and how they treat their own.

In the west, the U.S. and Europe, we often have a perception of Islam that is given to us by terrorists and governments of unfriendly nature. This is a tragedy. Because from that stems security systems, sermons, policies, and opposing radical views deaming the Muslim world unworthy and the help we offer is not always to their need, but a way that would convert them to our likeness and force them to our thinking rather than practicing true tolerance. Both sides are at fault for being unwelcoming to the other. And anyone, Muslim, Christian or Jew who would desecrate in the name of God is not true to their faith.

As I continue to learn from the late Benazir Bhutto, I hope to have a greater understanding of the world she came from as she educated herself on the world I come from.

4 comments:

  1. Ashley, I love your articulation of these ideas. I didn't even know you had a blog. I'll be back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it! I look forward to seeing some of your thoughts on things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ashley, as a follower of Christ, i need to be Christ to the world,which means i need to show love and grace and tolerance to everyone. that said, the problem with the muslim people is that the only voice the world hears and see's is the voice of the terrorist and the extremist.the majority of muslims refuse to speak out against the exremist. So in turn the world can only go by what we see and hear. hopefully what Bhutto said was true and more voice's will follow. Problem is she was killed for what she said.we go by the fruit the tree bare's. tng

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...In the west, the U.S. and Europe, we often have a perception of Islam that is given to us by terrorists and governments of unfriendly nature. This is a tragedy"

    Understood...but I pointed that out...b/c it is sad that -that's the case. Of course I also think it's sad that Christian people are often seen as Bible Beaters and Bull-horners...that also needs to change.

    I'm glad it worked this time, dad.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.