22 September 2008

Project Homeless: A Job and a Bench

His name was Eric. He moved to Atlanta to take care of his mother years ago. When she passed away he had to sell the house just to make sure all of her medical bills were paid. He now sleeps on a bench outside. But you wouldn't have known that just looking at him.

My boyfriend and I had gone to Little 5 Points for the afternoon. It was such a perfectly beautiful day outside. When we decided to rest, Eric walked up to us and told said he wanted to show us a picture. He must have noticed that I'd had my camera with me b/c he told me it would make a great photograph. He claimed that the picture had been painted by an elementary school kid in 1996 and that it was a picture of a plane between two towers w/ peace signs all over it. He thought it was ironic that the picture was drawn five years prior to 9/11.

While I don't know much about the superstition, it was interesting enough.

We found out that even though Eric had no place to sleep; he was able to lock down odd jobs around the area and that it was important to him to look presentable. Eric told us that he spent his earnings on making sure he ate and looked nice. He just didn't have enough money to afford a motel each night, didn't even know where one might be and certainly didn't have enough to afford an apartment.

Eric told us that homeless people just need to be given a chance. They need opportunity to be trusted, given jobs. When we asked about how hard it is get things like an i.d. card or a permenant address, he told us those were definitely some of the most difficult challanges. It's a catch-22, he state...you need money to make money in order to survive. He hates that the cycle is always continuous.

When we walked away he let us know he appreciated the conversation and our decency. I hope and pray that Eric will be given enough opportunity to afford an apartment one day soon.

2 comments:

  1. I think it interesting that this is from Atlanta. I just listened to this story yesterday on NPR. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94638020
    My "favorite" line: "Now, the city is asking everyone who goes downtown to donate through the new meters in the hopes that panhandlers will go away." I realize that not all homeless people panhandle. Like the gentleman in your blog post, some are able to find other ways to earn money, which can be the first step in getting off the street. Catch 22 is right. I am praying for Eric.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie. I recently heard about that initiative myself. I think it's out-right disgraceful. I don't give out cash anyway, but the fact remains that they're not really addressing the problem and they're missing the fact that "panhandlers," and "homeless" are HUMAN PEOPLE! It's sad and it certainly will not stop me from what I hope to do...the city will NOT be getting my funds. Atlanta is already considered "in debt" and b/c of that alone, I don't know that I could trust them to handle the meter money. Another city has attempted to do this and it hasn't worked....

    sigh, off my soap box for the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.