19 December 2008

Project Homeless: Gloria Says...

I have seen Gloria a few times, but on that particular day, she was atimate about getting my attention.

As I was passed by on the street, she waved me down and asked me to take her picture. I stopped and snapped a couple of shots while she gave me an exuberant smile, proud that someone would want to photograph her. When I finished she took my hand and asked my name. I noticed immediately that her eyes were heavily dialated and I had suspected for sometime that she might be mentally handicapped, but course who can be sure?

She held onto my hand tight and told me I was just like her neice, with the same name as daughter of her sister, she said. Gloria soon went off track and kept talking about a number of other people she knew, I couldn't always make it out, as she would trail off and mumble. But if I tried to say good-bye or walk away, she became very frustrated and spoke louder. It wasn't until another girl came by that we were able to tag team and say good-bye to Gloria. 

Certainly it was a difficult visit. And I would be lying if I told you that there are homeless men and women who weren't socially awkward, don't do drugs, or don't have handicaps. In many cases, that may be the very reason they are homeless. I can imagine that Gloria has had a hard life. I imagine that her memories are jumbled and perhaps her mind doesn't always follow what others are saying. I also imagine that Gloria does what she can to cope with the streets, right or wrong. She collects things and always has them with her, in boxes and ags. Her broom is never far from her reach and I've seen her with and without blankets. 

It's hard to know how to help someone like Gloria, mostly because it is difficult to even communicate effectively with her. For now, I will pray for her. I encourage you to offer your prayers this Christmas season as well as any time and energy you may have to give to the homeless people. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ash,

    This brightened my day, thank you. Someone like Gloria would require an extremely high level of care and assistance and unfortunately it is still in very short supply. However, social inclusion generally means a great deal to those who are regularly deprived of it and you have provided Gloria with that today. It is no small thing you have done.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.