22 June 2009

Plugging IN

I have definitely been active on the web as of late and here are my latest findings. Enjoy.

**Blogs
--A friend of mine, Gary McElveen is on his way to Kenya for a missions trip and to provide humanitarian aid (food supplies & some medical care). He will serve as the primary photographer for the team. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers. And they will do their best to keep the blog updated. From what I know, the team is going to an area of Kenya that is hardly visited by foreigners. It is my hope that will make a great difference in the hearts and lives of the people there.

--Harry Rud, blogger & aid worker in Afghanistan had something to say recently regaurding protection for the aid workers around the world. He doesn't want it to become an ideal, like for example, "save the whales."

--Sola Thompson shows her readers what lessons can be learned by the late great, Dr. Suess-- "Oh the Places You'll Go!"

--Jesse, a voice from Homeless Tales- shares an un-nerving story about his struggle to understand the very meaning of a HOME. Growing up in an abusive environment, - and years later on the streets, he feels he has never had a place to call his own.

**About the Web...& News
--This week, I discovered a piece, an exerpt rather, called the God Memorandum by Og Mandino. It's a beautiful encouragement and commencement of biblical profundity. I slipped a wow and passed it on. Apparently a couple of others were in need of it too. It's a read you'll need a little time for, but I highly recommend it.

--Bill Mahr, well known left-leaning comedian...has a message for the President, quit being a "TV Star." Now, normally, I'm not a fan of Mr. Mahr...and that's an understatement, but I have to say, this was brilliant and I appreciate his critique.

--Iran's uproar continues. From YouTube to Twitter to Facebook- the people are fighting for their right be heard by persisting w/ demonstrations against Government corruption. Officials have tried to shut down websites and communications in Iran. But it's not working. Now, we pray for their safety- Mousavi is ready to give his life for the cause. THIS is their Timeline through Saturday.

--Mousavi's message.

--Laura Ling is one of two American- Current TV journalists who was arrested in North Korea. The most recent documentary of her's that I watched was pretty interesting and well put together. She covered extensively the drug ring that comes out of the Mexican U.S. Border. If you have an hour to spare, this piece is a good one to watch: Narco War Next Door.


**Film
--Finally: Over the past couple of months, I have been fervently working a short documentary project that I will produce in small segments to be posted on the Web.

My first filming experience was w/ Ofelia. She is a dance studio owner and has an incredible dream to reality story of how she came to open her studio and return to dance, the one thing she loved an adored as a girl. I felt inspired during her filming. She was transparent and more than willing to share her challenges that brought her to where she is now, successful, inspired, and in love w/ life. I hope to spend the next couple few weeks working hard to finish editing her story.

Last week, I filmed Gary & Melinda. The afternoon was momentous for both of them. The journey of their lives have not been easy- and as they shared their deep personal struggles, they emphasized how God changed their sorrow into dancing. I will begin edits on their story in a few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ash,

    Hope that all is well with you.

    Thanks for mentioning us again. Just one point to note - Jesse is in fact a guy.

    Let me know how things are going with your projects when you get chance.

    Take care,

    Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @matt-barnes: thanks, i thought as much but wasn't too sure, so went w/ a second guess. i have now adjusted that info.

    hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.