06 September 2009

Dirty Kitchen

Calvin at Dinner
Over the past several months; I have been watching & catching up on seasons of Kitchen Nightmares on Hulu.com. World renown Chef and restaurant owner, Gordon Ramsey, hosts the show. Some of you may know him from Hell's Kitchen and his tyrannizing calls for competing chefs to "step it up." He may come across as overbearing or too crass for the liking, but at the heart of Kitchen Nightmares; Ramsey encourages people to live up to their potential and get back the passion they started with when they first dove into owning "that" restaurant.

The premise of the show begins, always, with a restaurant that is failing. Owners usually know at the very least, they are not raking in enough cash to survive & their invitation to Ramsey is a hope to get through the crisis. Ramsey walks through the door, opens with eating from the menu, analyzing both the food and the situation, and even goes on a cleaning inspection. Most restaurants fail that latter.

But through the tough love rants and corrections that Ramsey makes, he always finds a way to connect w/ the human soft spot that is bring the owners and the workers of the restaurant down. He invests in them, helps them come up with a signature menu and usually helps remodel old decor.

Why do I mention this show? Mostly, because I think Kitchen Nightmares is worth watching if for no other reason than to be inspired to accomplish dreams. But I have to say, I have learned something about cooking, and the restaurant business (especially after spending time working as a waitress). Not only that; but I'm tempted to just start buying everything fresh daily...after seeing what frozen and left over food can really leave behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.