26 December 2009

And Also With You...

It's been some time since I last went to a Mass. And every time, I enjoy the sheer reverence and simplicity of the hour long ceremony. This year, on Christmas eve, several family members and I joined my Grandmother for Mass and I have to say, it was beautiful.

As I walked into the stained-glass room, the lights were dim and there was a sense of Holy that hung in the air. Six Gallaghers filled half of the pew and a gentleman up front sat on a stool with his guitar. He opened the evening with quiet Christmas carols. O Holy Night, The First Noel gently assured the crowd that this was what Christmas was all about.

Following the angelic and sheppard dressed children came the Priest's procession. After a reading, Father Dave Ross told a story of a family who bought a nativity set that had two baby Jesus' in the set. The family held onto it thinking someone would buy the set w/ the missing baby Jesus. as it turned out, they stumbled on a family that had no nativity at all, nor any blankets or new warm clothes. the family gave away their milk, blankets and extra baby Jesus, so that the family may have a taste of Christmas joy in their home. What a perfect story to remind us about the giving the season brings, ever so much more than the getting.


In all of the standing and kneeling; a man in the crowd had collapsed. Father Dave stopped for a moment to ask for doctors and nurses to help. We all hoped he'd be alright and I said a special prayer.


Of the carols sung that night, the most beautiful came near the end when the Priest deeply bellowed Ave Maria in Latin. It was lovely and his voice carried in that sacred moment.


The recognition of the reverent child that began Christmas made the holiday sweet and bright. The humility of the story made me stand in upright awe of that beautiful deliverance.

2 comments:

  1. Truly nothing compares with Christmas Mass. You are correct in that. So beautiful. So serene. So perfect. I truly believe it is a small glimpse of heaven here on earth.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.