
He smiled, "You bet I do!"
I handed him the ten dollar Starbucks card I had in my pocket and told him he could at least get two or so visits out of it. He thanked me and told me he'd put it to use. His tall figure was slumped. He wore a Creative Loafing t-shirt and a pair of sweat pants that were tied together at the bottom. He seemed sad, but his expression showed me that he was really trying to catch the good in each and every day.
Sitting on the ground next to Bones, I asked him how he ended up on the streets. He told me that it came down to keeping his job or his apartment...and in one day; he lost both. That was in 1996.
Sitting on the ground next to Bones, I asked him how he ended up on the streets. He told me that it came down to keeping his job or his apartment...and in one day; he lost both. That was in 1996.
Bones admitted that he didn't know what he wanted society to know about him. But he did say that he wished it were easier to get an i.d. card. One of the most difficult parts of this life was not being able to get a job or qualify for government benefits due to the simple fact that he does not have an address. If he had an address and/or an i.d. card, things would be simpler.
I told my new friend that I would tell people that he's "here" and that if they should see him walking by, a friendly hello and a conversation would mean the world. He thought that might just help.
Bones- you're in my thoughts and prayers....
Ash, thanks so much for doing these. My life is richer because of it, not only for the people you introduce us to but for the far to few homeless people I have had the privilege to get to know. Bones may or may not recognize it but he encountered Jesus in you during your encounter.
ReplyDeleteDebbie
I'm glad the stories bless you, Debbie.
ReplyDeleteWell done, Ash. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteIt could be any one of us really. You can lose your job in a heartbeat. I experienced homelessness as a child. I think a lot of people don't think that children are part of this population but they are.
ReplyDeleteyou're right, children suffer these circumstances almost as much as anyone else...i have yet to come across any children in my area...and i believe it would sadden my heart to do so...
ReplyDeletewelcome to the conversation merelyme and thanks for sharing
what happened to your 9/11 post? i actually watched it really late last night and it made me tear up. you should post it back. it was pretty powerful.
ReplyDeleteand thats coming from your canadian blog friend!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete