It's that time again! The month of March is a fabulous month, spring breaks through, St. Patty's day is around the corner, and day time lasts a little longer. So, to start of this Springy month, let's get you going on a some great links around the web.
**Blogs
--Brett McCracken introduced a well worthwhile discussion on what it means to be "Christian Hipster." It's a rather intriguing idea on our generation and how we see the world and faith. There may be some things in the list you find you don't identify with and others you do. Nevertheless, it's a great blog...and a good comment discussion following.
--A dear friend of mine, Sola Thompson (Re-Defining Pink), discussed why she and her husband don't play the "pastor" card right away when having a conversation with someone they meet. Great concept.
--Her husband wrote a blog similar discussing the result of this practice. He called it: Experimenting in Translation. He and group of people went to a flea market recently and played music, non-religious music and their experience was astounding.
--Do you think you found Atlantis on Google Maps? I doubt it and so do they, Google Blog discusses this little rumor.
**'Bout the Web
--The WebUrbanist posted an array of the coolest Skate Parks around the world. The visuals are amazing.
--Brian Welch, you may remember from the band, KORN, talks about how he gained his faith and his life before and after on "I Am Second." It's a very cool story. I had not heard him tell it this way before.
--Recently; a dear blog buddy, Leah Tan, introduced me to a music site called the Black Cab Sessions. This is a spectacular array of artists who perform their songs in the back of black cab. Most of the sessions are run by Hidden Fruit Productions, Just So films or others. The artists usually roam the indie scene and of course all the music is "unplugged" for your listening pleasure. I definitely recommend this site!
**Recommended Reads
--Currently I am working my way through "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" by Ernest Hemingway. The short stories are beautifully written about...life, as it is. The people in the stories have sad tales and the conversations of the characters is invigorating. But who am I kidding? I love Hemingway.
--Next up; I will be reading two books side by side, as a study more than anything. I will be working through Boom by Tom Brokaw and Guerrilla Warfare by Ernesto "Che" Guevara. So, I am quite sure I will be sharing some of thoughts on the matter. Many of you know, historically, I am fascinated with the 1960s and their cultural influence on the world, so I expect these reads to be interesting.
**News
--You may know that Conan O'Brian will be taking over for Jay Leno on June 1st of this year. He was recently featured on "Inside the Actor's Studio," and it's pretty fascinating to listen to him talk about how he got to where he is today. It's inspiring rather and if you have some time, take a listen.
--How much do you know about the Khmer Rouge? They were a terrifying guerilla party that overthrew the Cambodian government in the 1970s. After their "fall" in 1979, there were still a number of uprisings all the way through the 1990s. As a result, the country today, is in complete disarray. However, one of the most feared Comrades of the 70s is now facing his Tribunal for Crimes Against Humainty. It's been thirty years and Comrade Duch claims now, to be a born-again Christian. Nevertheless, he is being tried for his crimes and has offered apologies. It's been an educational story to follow, if you're interested.
**Finally
--I will leave you will a little music...
Missy Higgins - Steer from Andrei Z on Vimeo.
see... and that's where you and i differ... i much prefer fitzgerald's gatsby to any of hemingway's works that i've read so far. but since he is hemingway, i will probably read more. =)
ReplyDeletei just love hemingway focuses on the somberness of his characters. fitzgerald was always a bit longwinded in his writing. ironically, however, the men were claimed to be good friends...at one time.
ReplyDelete