18 August 2009

Project Homeless: Worn

The other day, while walking toward Abba Dabbas (a shoe store in Little 5 Points, Atlanta); I met Linda. She was sitting several feet away from the Vortex restaurant panhandling. Most people simply ignored her and walked on by. But she looked sad and worn out, so I stopped and asked her if she was alright.

With her wispy white hair and her hand on her on a wrinkled forehead, she sighed and told me she came to the area, typically, 6 days a week. She took a bus from the west end and tried to earn a little extra cash on the streets. Linda stated that she did receive a check from the government, but after paying for a room and a bus ticket, it really left her w/ very little, if nothing for food or other survival supplies. She told me that due to a number of physical ailments, including her feet, her brain and bouts of illness, she could no longer work. Linda didn't want to stay in Little 5 too long, she admitted she didn't feel safe and would be on her way to the bus stop soon. Her boyfriend apparently had lost his job- and she claimed due to racial discrepancies against him (apparently he was a black man). She hoped that a man she had met earlier in the day would be able to help her boyfriend find a job. And she was very sad that she had not raised enough money to give him the kind of birthday she'd hoped. Nevertheless; she told me, she was trying to remember that she was blessed and that she was grateful I'd stopped to chat with her.

I tried to encourage her-I told Linda that He sees her struggles and to keep her head up. I offered her a sandwich (it's all I had on me), for which she gladly accepted.

I did not get her picture that day. Perhaps I forgot. Perhaps, on that particular day, I just didn't feel the desire to ask. But I won't forget her, that's for sure. I pray she won't feel so restless and that she'll find some peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.