I believe my first reaction was a very thoughtful, "wow." Declaring violence at the snap of a button, the moment the flash sparks, is certainly a powerful statement and I wonder, how much truth is in it?
There is a cliche that says "a picture is worth a thousand words." When I look at a photograph; I find that my first instincts are to analyze it like a poem or an essay. I am wondering why the artist chose to take that picture. If it is an object or a place, what drew them there? Somewhere in my mind, I find myself developing a story or a theory about that place and its purpose. But if the photo showcases the human being- that analysis goes much deeper. Who are they? Did the artist know them? Did the person in the photo want their picture taken? It is the analysis of that one person...their emotions, their purpose, their destination. And the same goes for a group of people. I am critical of the photo- why is this person smiling or why are they not? What is the story behind them? Did they defy the odds or are they just existing in this life? Obviously it is an analysis of questions, concerns and a vaudeville of the human condition.
It has been thought, by some, that aboriginal tribes believed a picture steals the soul. Figuratively, it is an intriguing thought because for a split second, the snap of the camera is latching on to the essence of that person-and while you cannot know what is in their mind or heart, it is there. At the same time and quite unfortunately; all you see is the surface and all you can do is toggle with the colors, expressions and appearances.
So what is then, the comparison to "violence?" It seems to me that when you take that picture- you are taking that person's story, their life, with you. When you shoot a gun, you have taken that person's life. The difference? When you've shot them dead, you leave them there.
When a photo is taken, the life they exposed is no longer confined within their home, their mind or their heart- something about them is seen by the photographer and by the world. It is a moment the cannot get back. They can only continue.
Certainly my thoughts and theory on all of this is based on a single quote and I am interested in reading Sontag's book. While she was a controversial figure during the 1960s and 70s; I have no doubt that the explosive decades of war, political controversy and culture had great influence on her view.
But for now; what is your reaction?
i feel like linking this post to my blog. really cool interpretation of that quote ash. and i like the vibe of that quote. but i must say that now more than ever, i tend to look at a photo and go... wow, that is such crappy lighting or wow, that is such a good sun flare. i guess i tend to go technical.. but i guess it really depends on the photo too and the subject in it.
ReplyDeletelink it up, if you feel so inclined. certainly the technical is a factor. i suppose since i think in terms of a journalistic sense, the depth always gets to me. but you make a good point.
ReplyDelete