
Don was all smiles and happy to play any tune you requested. He bounced his knee while he played and said he was just trying to survive the day. I did not catch the name of the other gentleman; his voice was low and scratched, but I did pick up that he's been in Georgia most of his life and that his father died when he was younger.
The two men see each other every day and were certainly empathetic to the other's needs. So after a few songs, and a good laugh: the boys had earned themselves a Coke! They were so happy to have something cold to drink- that Don play another tune on his harmonica and his friend saw my camera and asked if I was going to take their picture. I certainly hope, that on this day that we celebrate freedom, a day of joy, that someone else will be privileged enough to recieve their smiles.
I love these little stories you do on the meek and the homeless people. Reminds me how every time you see a homeless person, you rememember that that person has a story. Its pretty easy to be annoyed or brush them off as annoyance. Its hard for me these days not to look at them that way. I get super convicted about doing nothing for these people who I believe Jesus would call "the least".
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work, I love hearing the stories :)
thanks amos. one of the things i loved about these two in particular is that they were making an attempt to earn their survival. crude and crass (sp?) for sure, but nonetheless...fun to talk to.
ReplyDeletePretty cool, Ash. Love, love!
ReplyDelete