08 July 2008

Plugging In

I have had this blog for almost a year. And through my research, reading, writing and wondering...I wanted to put in a few things I think you should check out. I have a blog buddy who calls it "fortuitus bouncing," but I think I'll call it- "plugging in."

**Blogsphere: Both Tyler (Man of Depravity) and Amos (Movement, Movement) have shared their thoughts on the philisophical belief system of the U.S. Founding Fathers. Based on an article in the Los Angeles Times, the discussion on their blogs has certainly been an interesting one.

**Recommended Read: On the right hand side of my page is the top 13 books I think everyone should read. But the first, is John Bolin's "Life Unlimited." This book has been the single most influential and inspiring book of my life. Bolin explores the adventure and purpose for which we have been put on the earth to fulfill. He promotes the idea that we are the Hero of our own story and the King has our front and our back at every turn as long as we're focused on him. Bolin also dives into what it takes to live our lives outside the box, getting past the "hum-drum," as he would say. I recommend you read it with a notebook and a friend.


**In the City: Last week, while wondering through Little 5 Points, Atlanta, I met Bobby. He goes by the name Cipher Kenni and is a rap artist. He was making an attempt to sell his music on the street and shared some of it with me. He said that his goal is make music that promotes spirituality and truth. He hopes that his music will eventually help him support his wife and child, who are the most important to him. His music is written and self produced.

**Sites 4 Sore Eyes: As many of you have noticed, the first website/organization I promote is the UNHCR. This is a UN non-governmental organization (NGO) founded in 1950 and provides for the needs of displaced persons across the globe. They also aim to help protect and resolve refugee problems. They offer opportunities to volunteer as well as donate to their efforts, worldwide. I certainly have a passion for people who have been forced to leave their homes and often their families behind. These people are survivors. But the UNHCR has created a valuable service in getting food and care in places like China, Africa, and the Middle East just to name a few.


**In the City: Walking along the street this week; I also met John Naugle. He is the founder and director of a non-profit orginaztion in Atlanta called City of Peace. They promote non-violence, following the fashion of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Ghandi. Their goal is to promote and create awareness for peace efforts around the world.

**Finally? Me: Check out my developing photo skillz @ Untamed Focus!

4 comments:

  1. plugging in....good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I"ll pick up a copy of Bolin's book. I just got Rob Stennett's new book too, did you ever meet him when you were in the Springs? Its a novel, but I'm anxious to read it nonetheless.

    thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amos
    yeah, i knew rob. he was there right alongside john all through high school. his book is the next one on my list as well. but i hope you're able to get ahold of life unlimited. great read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post Ashley. I always enjoy reading your thoughts. Your recommended list of "erudition" has a few books that have significantly impacted me such as Left to Tell, Angela's Ashes, The Shack and of course the timeless classic, Screwtape Letters.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.