I noticed on my FaceBook the other day that some folks I know were tagged in an album entitled "St. James Planning Party." The man behind the photos calls himself Tony Webster and St. James is the church being headed by none other than Ted Haggard. There has been a lot of commentary and controversy surrounding Haggard's desire to start another church, and mostly among Christian people: whether or not he has the authority, whether or not it's biblically legal, whether or not his invitation to all is appropriate, etc.
And I am here to say this: What is going on with Ted Haggard is between he and his God. Only time will tell if this is truly his destiny, and honestly, I would never wish disaster or failure on a man who is trying to live out his forgiveness. If he so believes that God is leading him to teach others, to receive others- then by all means that is what he must do. To those of you who say that Haggard's invitation to all people of all walks of life, including those of the gay community- is an abomination to the standard of the Church: who are you to decide that? Do you know what the Church is all about? Do you realize that your stance is dangerously prejudice and against all the Christ taught?
Jesus received everyone. No one is asking you to agree. Nevertheless, why continue to publicly punish Ted for his sins?
Interestingly enough, what I noticed the pictures, was a group of people who were coming together and choosing to be a family. The pictures portrayed touching smiles, and a receptiveness, an openness. These were people that were coming together to not only do life together but figuring out how they could bring life to others. They appeared down to earth, and there were pictures of families with children. More importantly, every one of Haggard's family was attending, available and part of the process. Thank you, Tony, for the peek.
I pray that Ted will find a way to minister to others. For we have all fallen, why not use his experience to reach out? Sometimes your most treacherous of experiences can be the grace another needs. I grew up under Ted's leadership, and if this be a new and reformed man, then I commend him, and his wife and his children for trying something. Only time will tell. God speed.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.