19 June 2010

Project Homeless: Panhandling Poet

"What kind of stores are you looking for?" he asked me.
"Eh, I'm just browsing today, thanks though."
"Well if you were to give me four words, and were to hear the most beautiful poetry you've ever heard, do you think you could spare some change?"
"I don't have any change," I spouted, "but I could get you a sandwich if you're hungry."
"Yeah! Sure, Ok, so what four words do you have?"
"mmm, beautiful, untamed, place, people" I rattled them off the top of my head, and didn't put much thought into it.

But Craig proceeded to recite, indeed, fascinating poetry, more or less: spoken word with all of the noise and music around us. It was 5pm in the afternoon and Little 5 Points on a Friday was hopping. I stood and listened intently, not thinking to record the lovely poem he created just for me. After a couple of minutes: I should his hand and told him he'd earned his meal and headed for the cafe around the corner. A sandwich and a picture later, he was on his way to the next stop, where-ever that might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.